The foundation of the Centre of Oncology as “The Institute of Radium”in Wawielskastreetwas initiated by Maria Sklodowska-Curie (with the assistance of the President of Poland IgnacyMościcki) on May 29, 1932. Bronislawa Dluska, the sister of Maria Sklodowska-Curie, was the first director of the Institute. The centre got its current name after World War II in honor of its founder.
Today an oncological clinic is located in Wawielska, 15 street, and the main building of the Institute is in the street Roentgena, 5. It is a complex of more than 5 ten-storied buildings.
It is a specialized institute in the department of Ministry of Public Health of Poland. There are also affiliates of this centre – the institutes in Gliwice and Krakow. This centre is a leading oncological institution in Poland. There is an inscription on one of the walls of the institute: «Marii Skłodowskiej Curie, w hołdzie»(«In honor of Maria Sklodowska-Curie»).
Takes part in projects